About Biggs Body
The Biggs Museum is proud to introduce a new juried competition and exhibition concept of art forms featuring human and animal figures. This exhibition showcases 60 exceptional artworks selected from nearly 400 competition submissions in all visual art media including, but not limited to: painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, craft, fiber, installation and video. Selected artists from throughout the Mid-Atlantic region most successfully interpreted, evoked and responded to the body.
To view images of the winning works featured in this exhibition, click on the thumbnails below.Click here to view all Biggs Body exhibition programs
2019 Biggs Body Winners
Please join us for the following public programs:
- September 6, 5-7 p.m. – Biggs Body: Opening Reception and Purchase Prize Presentation. Come meet the makers of the inspiring artworks featured in the museum’s first Juried competition and exhibition of figural art! Refreshments will be provided. $10 adults, $8 seniors; members, students with ID, and active military free. RSVP online at BiggsMusuem.org or by calling 302-674-2111. Register here.
- September 7, all day – Biggs Kids, featuring FREE figure drawing classes taught by museum staff that use parents as live models!
Every Thursday in September, 6-9 p.m. – Figure Drawing Classes taught by Delaware State University art professor, Heather Ossandon — a series of four Life Drawing Classes, each with a unique lesson, with clothed live models. Recommended supply list will be distributed. Individual classes are $40 each ($36 for members) and the full series is discounted to $140 ($130 for members). Must have six students to run the class. RSVP to www.biggsmusuem.org and 302-674-2111. Register here.
- September 5 – Gesture, line quality, visual measuring systems, blocking out the form, blind contour, contour. Register here.
- September 12 – Proportions, basic anatomy, using a viewfinder, gesture, drawing from plaster molds. Register here.
- September 19 – Value and tonal studies, fabric studies, additive and subtractive methods. Register here.
- September 26 – Short and Long poses with props as well as preserving drawings. Register here.
- September 21, 2-3:30 p.m. – Biggs Body: Discussion with Exhibition Juror Brittany Webb, Curator of the John Rhoden Collection at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Elaborating on this artist competition and the resulting exhibition in relation to recent art histories of the body. $10 adults, $8 seniors; members, students with ID, and active military free. RSVP online at BiggsMusuem.org or by calling 302-674-2111. Register here.
- October 5 – Biggs Kids featuring Henna tattoos! Learn about the history of this important body decoration and get “inked” by a local Henna artist. Check website for times. Register here.
- October 12, 2-4 p.m. – Tattoo Ornament and the Art of the Body: A Panel Discussion. Tiffany Barber, University of Delaware Assistant Professor of Africana Studies, will lead a discussion of area tattoo artists and contemporary visual artists dealing with the body. $10 adults, $8 seniors; members, students with ID, and active military free. RSVP online at BiggsMusuem.org or by calling 302-674-2111.