POSITION: Visitor Services and Membership Specialist
The Visitor Services and Membership Specialist (VSMS) works to ensure an outstanding experience for all guests of the Biggs Museum. As the VSMS, you’ll report to and assist the Museum’s Visitor Services & Membership Manager and serve as the most important public relations person with the primary function of interfacing with the public in a friendly, gracious and professional manner. Together, you’ll provide visitors with information about the Museum and its services and ensure service levels are consistent throughout all touchpoints of the visitor experience.
In addition to making all guests feel welcome and valued, this position is accountable for processing admissions, event tickets, memberships, donations, and merchandise sales. This position requires a strong attention to detail and exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
The VSMS interacts with various levels of staff, board members, volunteers and visitors.
- Deliver superior customer service serving as the museums front line ambassador, proactively engaging with visitors and callers to build relationships for the institution
- Work with VSMM to ensure the Visitor Services Associates team provides outstanding customer service to all Museum visitors
- Become proficient with Agile (Point of Sale software); data entry related to admissions, membership, program and event registrations, donations and retail purchases
- Close and balance the daily accounts and track visitation
- Regularly seek out information on and provide information to visitors about current exhibitions, upcoming programs, and other First State National Historical Park and Downtown Dover sites
- Assist with membership mailings, including mail merge and printing labels
- Attend special events to promote membership and assist with coordination; includes but not limited to set-up and tear down of tables and chairs, decorating, catering support, registration table services and clean-up
- Observe and maintain awareness of potential security issues
- Promote and sell Membership program to museum visitors
- Other related duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree coupled with 3+ years of visitor/guest services experience, retail sales experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience (preferably in a non-profit organization setting)
- Highly energetic, with a positive, welcoming attitude that is driven, creative, and resourceful
- Professional and personable demeanor; ability to interact effectively and appropriately with diverse groups of colleagues and visitors
- Strong computer and Point of Sale skills are essential to being successful in this position, along with the motivation to independently troubleshoot when facing a technical issue; database experience a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, including mail merge function
- Flexible, with the ability to make thoughtful, independent decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet ongoing deadlines and deliver an accurate work product
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Must work independently with moderate supervision
This is a part-time, 21- to 28-hour per week position. Each 7-hour shift includes a 30- to 60-minute unpaid lunch period. Extra hours may be required in order to meet position requirements related to special event coverage. Actual days and hours of work will be communicated in line with the Museum’s regular work scheduling practice.
PAY RATE: $15/hr.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to hiring manager Kathryn Marro at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.