Position: Visitor Services and Membership Coordinator
Full-time with Benefits
The Visitor Services and Membership Coordinator is stationed at and coordinates the front desk operation of the museum. Manages the membership program, the AGILE point of sale system and its interface with our donor database, Donor Perfect. In conjunction with front desk staff, executes all membership mailings in support of marketing and development staff. Working with the marketing and development departments, builds and services a robust and successful membership program. Schedules all part time front desk staff and trains them in the use of the AGILE point of sale system. Trains and monitors front desk staff to work successfully with visitors to enhance the visitor experience and to promote the value of membership.
Reports to Director of Marketing and interacts with various levels of staff, board members, volunteers and visitors.
The Biggs Museum of American Art is a dynamic regional art museum in Dover, Delaware, founded in 1993 by collector Sewell C. Biggs. Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, the Biggs Museum is nationally recognized for its exceptional collections of American decorative arts of Delaware and the Delaware River valley, and for its collections of American art from 1700 to the present. In its first 25 years, the Biggs has tripled its operating budget, and doubled its exhibition space and programs. It welcomes 30,000 visitors per year and has 500 members. The Visitor Services and Membership Coordinator will play an important role in reaching the institutions strategic goals for the next 25 years.
Generally comprises four, 7-hour days, Tuesday – Friday and one, 7 hour day, Saturday or Sunday. Each shift includes a 30 – 60 minute unpaid lunch period. Extra hours may be required in order to meet position requirements related to special event coverage. Actual days and hours of work will be communicated in line with the Museum’s regular work scheduling practice.
- Deliver superior customer service serving as the museums front line ambassador, proactively engaging with visitors and building relationships for the institution.
- Supervise and schedule front desk staff;
- Administer the admissions process, collecting contact information and encouraging repeat visitation and membership.
- Provide reports and data to staff/board concerning visitation
- Observe and maintain awareness of potential security issues.
- Regularly seek out information on exhibitions and programs and provide information to visitors about current exhibitions and upcoming programs.
- Answer phones and provide information.
- Collect merchandise quarterly from artists for gift shop and enter said merchandise into point of sale system.
- Execute sales from the gift shop, take donations, and sign up members.
- Close daily accounts when in charge.
- Other related duties as required.
- Enter data for new memberships and renewals, ensuring that all data is consistently accurate and up-to-date within AGILE point of sale system, taking care to remove duplicates and add proper salutations, etc.
- Process acknowledgment letters and membership fulfillment letters up to $250 level.
Work collaboratively with other staff on email and social media campaigns for membership and member events;
- Execute membership mailings including mail merge and printing labels.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Attend special events to promote membership, other related duties as required.
Includes but is not limited to set-up and tear down of tables and chairs, decorating, catering support, registration table services and clean-up.
- Programs, be available to back up and greet speakers and trouble shoot projectors and other technologies for special programs such as Dover Days and Comic Con.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree coupled with 3+ years of visitor/guest services experience, retail sales experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience (preferably in a museum setting).
Polished customer service skills.
- Interact effectively and appropriately with diverse groups of colleagues and visitors.
- Computer and database skills and experience are essential.
- Ability to master the AGILE point of sale system, and Donor Perfect database in terms of data entry, research and report production at an “expert” level.
- Responsible for closing and balancing the daily accounts, making deposits, and tracking visitation.
- Flexibility and the ability to make thoughtful independent decisions in a fast paced environment.
Previous point of sale, computer and database skills and experience are essential.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Follow oral and written instructions; maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population.
- Ability to meet ongoing deadlines and deliver an accurate work product.
- Work independently with moderate supervision.
- Ability to troubleshoot systems and to think creatively to solve problems.
Interested applicants: Please send a resume and cover letter addressed to Executive Director, Charles Guerin and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.